Monday, December 16, 2013

Change - Part 1, The Fire


I have learned that praying for change is like praying for patience; you just don't do it unless you are ready to go through the trials that will take you there.

For the coming months, I will be writing about the changes that my family is walking through. Please feel free to share my blog with others. My goal in this is that God will be glorified!

The Fire

On December 3rd, our lives were changed dramatically. You see, our home caught fire while my son, Christopher, and I were still in it. My husband, Bill, wasn't home at the time.

It had been a typical day; just the usual routine. That evening, since Christopher was in his room and Bill was not home, I decided to watch a little TV. Right after Wheel of Fortune went off, the lights in the house flickered and then went out. I looked out my back door and saw a red glow. (The blinds were still open, which is unusual once it gets dark.) When I started toward the door to see what it was, I could smell the smoke. I yelled for Christopher and grabbed the dog. As we were scrambling to get out, I heard a loud pop.

In a matter of minutes, the garage was engulfed in flames. Fortunately, we live close to a fire department so their arrival time was short. They arrived in time to keep the entire house from burning. The garage and everything in it was completely destroyed, including my vehicle.

The rest of the house suffered severe water and smoke damage. The ceiling collapsed from the weight of the water. Almost everything in the house was destroyed with the exception of a few things. We were able to salvage some important papers and mementos, including pictures. PRAISE GOD!

Needless to say, walking through the house the next day was very difficult. To see all that you have worked for and accumulated through the years just sit there, totally destroyed, was heart-wrenching.

But... through it all, God is good!

Be blessed,
Dawn



No comments:

Post a Comment